Current:Home > StocksJustice Department will launch civil rights review into 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre -Capitatum
Justice Department will launch civil rights review into 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 09:22:15
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The Justice Department announced Monday it plans to launch a review of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre, an attack by a white mob on a thriving Black district that is considered one of the worst single acts of violence against Black people in U.S. history.
The review was launched under a federal cold-case initiative that has led to prosecutions of some Civil Rights Era cases, although Assistant U.S. Attorney General Kristen Clarke said they have “no expectation” there is anyone living who could be prosecuted as a result of the inquiry. Still, the announcement of a first-ever federal probe into the massacre was embraced by descendants of survivors who have long criticized city and state leaders for not doing more to compensate those affected by the attack.
Clarke said the agency plans to issue a public report detailing its findings by the end of the year.
“We acknowledge descendants of the survivors, and the victims continue to bear the trauma of this act of racial terrorism,” Clarke said during her remarks in Washington.
Damario Solomon-Simmons, an attorney for the last known survivors of the massacre, 110-year-old Viola Fletcher and 109-year-old Lessie Benningfield Randle, described Clarke’s announcement as a “joyous occasion.”
“It is about time,” said Solomon-Simmons, flanked by descendants of massacre survivors. “It only took 103 years, but this is a joyous occasion, a momentous day, an amazing opportunity for us to make sure that what happened here in Tulsa is understood for what it was — the largest crime scene in the history of this country.”
As many as 300 Black people were killed; more than 1,200 homes, businesses, schools and churches were destroyed; and thousands were forced into internment camps overseen by the National Guard when a white mob, including some deputized by authorities, looted and burned the Greenwood District, also known as Black Wall Street.
The Oklahoma Supreme Court in June dismissed a lawsuit by survivors, dampening the hope of advocates for racial justice that the city would make financial amends for the attack.
The nine-member court upheld the decision made by a district court judge in Tulsa last year, ruling that the plaintiff’s grievances about the destruction of the Greenwood district, although legitimate, did not fall within the scope of the state’s public nuisance statute.
After the state Supreme Court turned away the lawsuit, Solomon-Simmons asked the U.S. Department of Justice to open an investigation into the massacre under the Emmett Till Unsolved Civil Rights Crime Act.
Although investigations under the Act have led to successful prosecutions of Civil Rights Era cases, the DOJ acknowledged in a report to Congress last year that there are significant legal barriers to cases before 1968.
“Even with our best efforts, investigations into historic cases are exceptionally difficult, and rarely will justice be reached inside of a courtroom,” the agency noted in the report.
Since the Act was approved in 2008, the DOJ has opened for review 137 cases, involving 160 known victims. The agency has fully investigated and resolved 125 of those cases through prosecution, referral or closure.
The report also notes the Act has led to two successful federal prosecutions and three successful state prosecutions. Both federal prosecutions involved separate murders of Black men in Mississippi by members of the Ku Klux Klan in the 1960s.
The first federally assisted state prosecution under the initiative was against Klansmen who bombed a Birmingham, Alabama, church in 1963, killing four young girls. That prosecution in the early 2000s led to convictions and life sentences for two men involved in the bombing.
veryGood! (6197)
Related
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- 'Should I send the feds a thank-you card?' Victor Conte revisits BALCO scandal
- Johnny Hardwick, voice actor who played Dale Gribble on King of the Hill, dies at 64
- Vanderpump Rules’ Scheana Shay Addresses Ozempic Rumors After Losing Weight
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- West Virginia University outlines proposed program and faculty cuts
- Georgia man dies 8 months after cancer diagnosis, weeks after emotional hospital wedding
- Breaking Down All of Kate Middleton and Prince William's Royal Titles and What They Mean
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Kelsea Ballerini opens up about moving on post-divorce, finding joy, discovering herself
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Robert De Niro’s Daughter Shares Heartbreaking Message on Late Son Leandro’s 20th Birthday
- Rising political threats take US into uncharted territory as 2024 election looms
- Shop the best back-to-school deals on Apple iPads, AirPods and more ahead of Labor Day
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Climate Costs Imperil Unique, Diverse Detroit Neighborhood
- J.Crew’s Most Jaw-Dropping Deals Right Now: $218 Sandals for $35, $90 Shorts for $20, and More
- Guatemalan presidential candidate Sandra Torres leans on conservative values, opposing gay marriage
Recommendation
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
Special counsel named in Hunter Biden investigation, a look at campaign merch: 5 Things podcast
California judge who's charged with murder allegedly texted court staff: I just shot my wife. I won't be in tomorrow.
Former foster children win $7M settlement after alleging state turned blind eye to abuse
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
'Should I send the feds a thank-you card?' Victor Conte revisits BALCO scandal
1 more person charged in Alabama riverboat brawl; co-captain says he 'held on for dear life'
Linda Evangelista Has a Surprising Take on Botox After Being Disfigured From Cosmetic Procedure